Last Modified: July 2023
THIS AGREEMENT TAKES EFFECT WHEN YOU (A) ACCESS OR USE THE SERVICES, OR (B) SIGN AN ORDER FORM DETAILING THE SERVICES PURCHASED (the "Effective Date").
BY ACCESSING OR USING THE SERVICES OR BY SIGNING AN ORDER FORM REFERENCING THIS AGREEMENT, YOU (A) ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THIS AGREEMENT; (B) REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU HAVE THE RIGHT, POWER, AND AUTHORITY TO ENTER INTO THIS AGREEMENT AND, IF ENTERING INTO THIS AGREEMENT FOR AN ORGANIZATION, THAT YOU HAVE THE LEGAL AUTHORITY TO BIND THAT ORGANIZATION; AND (C) ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT AND AGREE THAT YOU ARE LEGALLY BOUND BY ITS TERMS. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THESE TERMS, YOU MAY NOT ACCESS OR USE THE SERVICES.
(a) “Anecdotes” means anecdotes Inc. if the Customer is located in the United States and Anecdotes A.I. Ltd. if the Customer is located outside of the United States.
(b) "Authorized User" means Customer and Customer's employees, consultants, contractors, and agents (i) who are authorized by Customer to access and use the Services under the rights granted to Customer pursuant to this Agreement and (ii) for whom access to the Services has been purchased either hereunder through an Order Form or online registration page.
(c) "Services" means access to the anecdotes Compliance OS platform provided by Provider under this Agreement, which are further described on Provider's website available at anecdotes.ai and reflected in the Customer's order.
(d) "Documentation" means Provider's user manuals, handbooks, and guides relating to the Services provided by Provider to Customer either electronically, within the Services, or in hard copy form.
(e) “Order Form” means the ordering document, signed by the parties which details the Services purchased by Customer and the commercial terms related thereto.
(f) "Provider IP" means the Platform, the Services, the Documentation, and all intellectual property provided to Customer or any other Authorized User in connection with the foregoing. For the avoidance of doubt, Provider IP includes Feedback and Aggregated Statistics and any information, data, or other content derived from Provider's monitoring of Customer's access to or use of the Services.
(g) "Third-Party Products" means any products, content, services, information, websites, or other materials that are owned by third parties and are incorporated into or accessible through the Services.
2. Access and Use.
(a) Provision of Access. Subject to and conditioned on your payment of Fees and compliance with all terms and conditions of this Agreement, Provider hereby grants you a revocable, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, limited right to access and use the Services during the Term solely for your internal business operations by Authorized Users in accordance with the terms and conditions herein.
(b) Documentation License. Subject to the terms and conditions contained in this Agreement, Provider hereby grants you a non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, non-transferable license for Authorized Users to use the Documentation during the Term solely for your internal business purposes in connection with use of the Services.
(c) Use Restrictions. You shall not, and shall not permit any Authorized Users to, use the Services, any software component of the Services, or Documentation for any purposes beyond the scope of the access granted in this Agreement. You shall not at any time, directly or indirectly, and shall not permit any Authorized Users to: (i) copy, modify, or create derivative works of the Services, any software component of the Services, or Documentation, in whole or in part; (ii) rent, lease, lend, sell, license, sublicense, assign, distribute, publish, transfer, or otherwise make available the Services or Documentation except as expressly permitted under this Agreement; (iii) reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile, decode, adapt, or otherwise attempt to derive or gain access to any software component of the Services, in whole or in part; (iv) remove any proprietary notices from the Services or Documentation; or (v) use the Services or Documentation in any manner or for any purpose that infringes, misappropriates, or otherwise violates any intellectual property right or other right of any person, or that violates any applicable law, regulation, or rule.
(d) Aggregated Statistics. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement, Provider may monitor Customer's use of the Services and collect and compile data and information related to Customer's use of the Services to be used by Provider in an aggregated and anonymized manner, including to compile statistical and performance information related to the provision and operation of the Services ("Aggregated Statistics"). As between Provider and Customer, all right, title, and interest in Aggregated Statistics, and all intellectual property rights therein, belong to and are retained solely by Provider. You acknowledge that Provider may compile Aggregated Statistics based on Customer Data input into the Services. You agree that Provider may (i) make Aggregated Statistics publicly available in compliance with applicable law, and (ii) use Aggregated Statistics to the extent and in the manner permitted under applicable law; provided that such Aggregated Statistics do not identify Customer or Customer's Confidential Information.
(e) Reservation of Rights. Provider reserves all rights not expressly granted to Customer in this Agreement. Except for the limited rights and licenses expressly granted under this Agreement, nothing in this Agreement grants, by implication, waiver, estoppel, or otherwise, to Customer or any third party, any intellectual property rights or other right, title, or interest in or to the Provider IP.
(f) Suspension. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement, Provider may temporarily suspend Customer's and any other Authorized User's access to any portion or all of the Services if: (i) Provider reasonably determines that (A) there is a threat or attack on any of the Platform or Services; (B) Customer's or any other Authorized User's use of the Platform or Services disrupts or poses a security risk to the Platform, Services, or to any other customer or vendor of Provider; (C) Customer or any other Authorized User is using the Platform or Services for fraudulent or illegal activities; (D) subject to applicable law, Customer has ceased to continue its business in the ordinary course, made an assignment for the benefit of creditors or similar disposition of its assets, or become the subject of any bankruptcy, reorganization, liquidation, dissolution, or similar proceeding; or (E) Provider's provision of the Services to Customer or any other Authorized User is prohibited by applicable law; (ii) any vendor of Provider has suspended or terminated Provider's access to or use of any third-party services or products required to enable Customer to access the Services; or (iii) in accordance with 5 (any such suspension described in subclause (i), (ii), or (iii), a "Service Suspension"). Provider shall use commercially reasonable efforts to provide written notice of any Service Suspension to Customer and to provide updates regarding resumption of access to the Services following any Service Suspension. Provider shall use commercially reasonable efforts to resume providing access to the Services as soon as reasonably possible after the event giving rise to the Services Suspension is cured. Provider will have no liability for any damage, liabilities, losses (including any loss of or profits), or any other consequences that Customer or any other Authorized User may incur as a result of a Service Suspension.
3. Customer Responsibilities.
(a) Acceptable Use. The Services may not be used for unlawful, fraudulent, offensive, or obscene activity. You will comply with all terms and conditions of this Agreement, all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, and all guidelines, standards, and requirements that may be posted on https://www.anecdotes.ai/ from time to time.
(b) Account Use. You are responsible and liable for all uses of the Services and Documentation resulting from access provided by you, directly or indirectly, whether such access or use is permitted by or in violation of this Agreement. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you are responsible for all acts and omissions of Authorized Users, and any act or omission by an Authorized User that would constitute a breach of this Agreement if taken by you will be deemed a breach of this Agreement by you. You shall use reasonable efforts to make all Authorized Users aware of this Agreement's provisions as applicable to such Authorized User's use of the Services and shall cause Authorized Users to comply with such provisions.
(c) Customer Data. You hereby grant to Provider a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide license to reproduce, distribute, modify, and otherwise use and display the Customer Data and perform all acts with respect to the Customer Data as may be necessary for Provider to provide the Services to you. You will ensure that Customer Data and any Authorized User's use of Customer Data will not violate any policy or terms referenced in or incorporated into this Agreement or any applicable law. You are solely responsible for the development, content, operation, maintenance, and use of Customer Data.
(d) Passwords and Access Credentials. You are responsible for keeping your passwords and access credentials associated with the Services confidential. You will not sell or transfer them to any other person or entity. You will promptly notify us about any unauthorized access to your passwords or access credentials.
(e) Third-Party Products. The Services may permit access to Third-Party Products. For purposes of this Agreement, such Third-Party Products are subject to their own terms and conditions presented to you for acceptance within the Services by website link or otherwise. If you do not agree to abide by the applicable terms for any such Third-Party Products, then you should not install, access, or use such Third-Party Products.
4. Service Levels and Support.
(a) Service Levels. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Provider shall use commercially reasonable efforts to make the Services available in accordance with the service levels available at: https://www.anecdotes.ai/service-level-agreement ("Service Levels").
5. Fees and Payment. Customer shall pay Provider the fees as described on the relevant Order Form or online registration ("Fees") within thirty (30) days from the invoice date without offset or deduction. Customer shall make all payments hereunder in US dollars on or before the due date. If Customer fails to make any payment when due, without limiting Provider's other rights and remedies: (i) Provider may charge interest on the past due amount at the rate of 1.5% per month, calculated daily and compounded monthly or, if lower, the highest rate permitted under applicable law; (ii) Customer shall reimburse Provider for all costs incurred by Provider in collecting any late payments or interest, including attorneys' fees, court costs, and collection agency fees; and (iii) if such failure continues for ten (10) days or more, Provider may suspend, in accordance with Section 2(g), Customer's and all other Authorized Users' access to any portion or all of the Services until such amounts are paid in full. All Fees and other amounts payable by Customer under this Agreement are exclusive of taxes and similar assessments. Customer is responsible for all sales, use, and excise taxes, and any other similar taxes, duties, and charges of any kind imposed by any federal, state, or local governmental or regulatory authority on any amounts payable by Customer hereunder, other than any taxes imposed on Provider's income.
6. Confidential Information. From time to time during the Term, Provider and Customer may disclose or make available to the other party information about its business affairs, products, confidential intellectual property, trade secrets, third-party confidential information, and other sensitive or proprietary information, whether orally or in written, electronic, or other form or media/in written or electronic form or media, that is marked, designated, or otherwise identified as "confidential" at the time of disclosure or which should reasonably be considered to be confidential and/or proprietary given the circumstances of disclosure (collectively, "Confidential Information"). Confidential Information does not include information that, at the time of disclosure is: (a) in the public domain; (b) known to the receiving party; (c) rightfully obtained by the receiving party on a non-confidential basis from a third party; or (d) independently developed by the receiving party. The receiving party shall not disclose the disclosing party's Confidential Information to any person or entity, except to the receiving party's employees, agents, or subcontractors who have a need to know the Confidential Information for the receiving party to exercise its rights or perform its obligations hereunder and who are required to protect the Confidential Information in a manner no less stringent than required under this Agreement. Notwithstanding the foregoing, each party may disclose Confidential Information to the limited extent required (i) to comply with the order of a court or other governmental body, or as otherwise necessary to comply with applicable law, provided that, to the extent legally permissible, the party making the disclosure pursuant to the order shall first have given written notice to the other party and made a reasonable effort to obtain a protective order; or (ii) to establish a party's rights under this Agreement, including to make required court filings. Each party's obligations of non-disclosure with regard to Confidential Information are effective as of the date such Confidential Information is first disclosed to the receiving party and will expire five years thereafter; provided, however, with respect to any Confidential Information that constitutes a trade secret (as determined under applicable law), such obligations of non-disclosure will survive the termination or expiration of this Agreement for as long as such Confidential Information remains subject to trade secret protection under applicable law.
8. Intellectual Property Ownership; Feedback. As between you and us, we own all right, title, and interest, including all intellectual property rights, in and to the Services, the Platform, the Documentation, and Feedback (as defined below). If you or any of your employees, contractors, or agents sends or transmits any communications or materials to us by mail, email, telephone, or otherwise, suggesting or recommending changes to the Services, including without limitation, new features or functionality relating thereto, or any comments, questions, suggestions, or the like ("Feedback"), we are free to use such Feedback irrespective of any other obligation or limitation between you and us governing such Feedback. All Feedback is and will be treated as non-confidential. You hereby assign to us on your behalf, and shall cause your employees, contractors, and agents to assign, all right, title, and interest in, and we are free to use, without any attribution or compensation to you or any third party, any ideas, know-how, concepts, techniques, or other intellectual property rights contained in the Feedback, for any purpose whatsoever, although we are not required to use any Feedback.
9. Limited Warranty and Warranty Disclaimer.
(a) Provider warrants that it provides Services using a commercially reasonable level of care and skill. THE FOREGOING WARRANTY DOES NOT APPLY, AND PROVIDER STRICTLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, WITH RESPECT TO ANY THIRD-PARTY PRODUCTS.
(b) Customer Warranty. You warrant that you shall use the Services in accordance with the provisions of this Agreement and the guidelines provided by the Company, from time to time.
(c) Limitations. It is understood and agreed that (i) certain portions of the Services may be provided by Company's third-party licensors, and the Company’s ability to provide such portion of the Services is subject to the willingness of such licensors to continue to contract with it; (ii) complex software, as the Platform, is never wholly free from defects, errors and bugs. Therefore, and subject to the other provisions of this Agreement, the Company gives no warranty or representation that the Services will be wholly free from defects, errors and bugs; (iii) complex software, as the Platform is, is never entirely free from security vulnerabilities, however, the Company is making efforts to act in accordance with industry practices to prevent such security vulnerabilities; and (iv) the Company will not provide any legal, financial, accountancy or taxation advice under this Agreement or in relation to the Services, and, except to the extent expressly provided otherwise in this Agreement.
(d) EXCEPT FOR THE LIMITED WARRANTY SET FORTH IN SECTION 9(a) ABOVE, THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND PROVIDER SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY, OR OTHERWISE. PROVIDER SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND ALL WARRANTIES ARISING FROM COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE, OR TRADE PRACTICE. PROVIDER MAKES NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND THAT THE SERVICES, OR ANY PRODUCTS OR RESULTS OF THE USE THEREOF, WILL MEET YOUR OR ANY OTHER PERSON'S OR ENTITY'S REQUIREMENTS, OPERATE WITHOUT INTERRUPTION, ACHIEVE ANY INTENDED RESULT, BE COMPATIBLE OR WORK WITH ANY OF YOUR OR ANY THIRD PARTY'S SOFTWARE, SYSTEM, OR OTHER SERVICES, OR BE SECURE, ACCURATE, COMPLETE, FREE OF HARMFUL CODE, OR ERROR-FREE, OR THAT ANY ERRORS OR DEFECTS CAN OR WILL BE CORRECTED.
(a) Provider Indemnification.
(b) Customer Indemnification. Customer shall indemnify, hold harmless, and, at Provider's option, defend Provider and its officers, directors, employees, agents, affiliates, successors, and assigns from and against any and all Losses based on Customer's or any Authorized User's negligence or willful misconduct, use of the Services in a manner not authorized by this Agreement, and/or Customer’s breach of applicable law; provided that Customer may not settle any Third-Party Claim against Provider unless Provider consents to such settlement, and further provided that Provider will have the right, at its option, to defend itself against any such Third-Party Claim or to participate in the defense thereof by counsel of its own choice.
11. Limitations of Liability. IN NO EVENT WILL PROVIDER BE LIABLE UNDER OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT UNDER ANY LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY, INCLUDING BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE, FOR ANY: (a)CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, EXEMPLARY, SPECIAL, ENHANCED, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES; (b) INCREASED COSTS, DIMINUTION IN VALUE OR LOST BUSINESS, PRODUCTION, REVENUES, OR PROFITS; (c) LOSS OF GOODWILL OR REPUTATION; (d) USE, INABILITY TO USE, LOSS, INTERRUPTION, DELAY OR RECOVERY OF ANY DATA, OR BREACH OF DATA OR SYSTEM SECURITY; OR (e) COST OF REPLACEMENT GOODS OR SERVICES, IN EACH CASE REGARDLESS OF WHETHER PROVIDER WAS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LOSSES OR DAMAGES OR SUCH LOSSES OR DAMAGES WERE OTHERWISE FORESEEABLE. IN NO EVENT WILL PROVIDER'S AGGREGATE LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT UNDER ANY LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY, INCLUDING BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE EXCEED THE TOTAL AMOUNTS PAID TO PROVIDER UNDER THIS AGREEMENT IN THE TWELVE (12) MONTH PERIOD PRECEDING THE EVENT GIVING RISE TO THE CLAIM.
12. Term and Termination.
(a) Term. The term of this Agreement begins on the Effective Date and continues for the term set forth in the relevant Order Form. The terms shall automatically renew, unless earlier terminated pursuant to this Agreement's express provisions or either party gives the other party written notice of non-renewal at least sixty (60) days prior to the expiration of the then-current services period.
(b) Termination. In addition to any other express termination right set forth in this Agreement:
(c) Effect of Termination. Upon termination of this Agreement, Customer shall immediately discontinue use of the the Platform, the Services, the Documentation and the Provider IP. No expiration or termination of this Agreement will affect Customer's obligation to pay all Fees that may have become due before such expiration or termination, or entitle Customer to any refund.
(d) Survival. This Section 12(d), Sections 5, 6, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, and 17, and any right, obligation, or required performance of the parties in this Agreement which, by its express terms or nature and context is intended to survive termination or expiration of this Agreement, will survive any such termination or expiration.
13. Modifications. You acknowledge and agree that we have the right, in our sole discretion, to modify this Agreement from time to time, and that modified terms become effective on posting. We will make commercially reasonable efforts to send notifications of updated terms to the email address you’ve provided to us, but we urge you to visit the website from time to time to ensure that you remain current on updated terms. You are responsible for reviewing and becoming familiar with any such modifications. Your continued use of the Services after the effective date of the modifications will be deemed acceptance of the modified terms.
14. Export Regulation. The Services utilize software and technology that may be subject to US export control laws, including the US Export Administration Act and its associated regulations. You shall not, directly or indirectly, export, re-export, or release the Services or the software or technology included in the Services to, or make the Services or the software or technology included in the Services accessible from, any jurisdiction or country to which export, re-export, or release is prohibited by law, regulation, or rule. You shall comply with all applicable federal laws, regulations, and rules, and complete all required undertakings (including obtaining any necessary export license or other governmental approval), prior to exporting, re-exporting, releasing, or otherwise making the Services or the software or technology included in the Services available outside the US.
15. Governing Law and Jurisdiction. This agreement is governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of California without giving effect to any choice or conflict of law provision or rule that would require or permit the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than those of the State of California. Any legal suit, action, or proceeding arising out of or related to this Agreement or the rights granted hereunder will be instituted exclusively in the federal courts of the United States or the courts of the State of California in each case located in the city of San Francisco, and each party irrevocably submits to the exclusive jurisdiction of such courts in any such suit, action, or proceeding.
16. Force Majeure. The Company shall not be liable for any failure to perform its obligations hereunder due to a cause beyond its reasonable control, including without limitation, strike, labor or civil unrest or dispute, embargo, blockage, work stoppage, protest, war, terrorism, or acts of God such as fires, floods, electrical storms, pandemic, and natural catastrophes. In the event of a force majeure, the performance of the Company's obligations shall be suspended during the period of existence of such force majeure as well as the period required thereafter to resume the performance of the obligation.
17. Miscellaneous. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement and understanding between the parties hereto with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes all prior and contemporaneous understandings, agreements, representations, and warranties, both written and oral, with respect to such subject matter. Any notices to us must be sent to our corporate headquarters address available at email@example.com and must be delivered either in person, by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested and postage prepaid, or by recognized overnight courier service, and are deemed given upon receipt by us. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you hereby consent to receiving electronic communications from us. These electronic communications may include notices about applicable fees and charges, transactional information, and other information concerning or related to the Services. You agree that any notices, agreements, disclosures, or other communications that we send to you electronically will satisfy any legal communication requirements, including that such communications be in writing. The invalidity, illegality, or unenforceability of any provision herein does not affect any other provision herein or the validity, legality, or enforceability of such provision in any other jurisdiction. Any failure to act by us with respect to a breach of this Agreement by you or others does not constitute a waiver and will not limit our rights with respect to such breach or any subsequent breaches. This Agreement is personal to you and may not be assigned or transferred for any reason whatsoever without our prior written consent and any action or conduct in violation of the foregoing will be void and without effect. We expressly reserve the right to assign this Agreement and to delegate any of its obligations hereunder.